On the first day of this month, the fabulous website, BiospotVictims.org was removed by the site owner. James TerBush started BiospotVictims.org in February of 2004 when his dog, Hammish, nearly died from application of BioSpot. Like many people, James purchased BioSpot because it looked like a similar product to Frontline, the product he usually purchased from his vet, only it was much less expensive. Biospot was applied once to Hammish with no issues, then again 6 weeks later. Within an hour, Hammish had his first grand mal seizure.
The experience with Hammish and Biospot took James on an eight year journey, discovering scientific data, sharing stories, writing letters to the EPA and filing an endless stream of Freedom of Information Act requests when his attempt to gain information was stonewalled by the EPA and others.
I have had the honor to share much information with James and he is an encyclopedia of knowledge. He has worked tirelessly and regularly these past eight years, making BiospotVictims.org the longest running factual website for pet owners about harmful flea and tick products, the industry that supports them and the government agencies (EPA) that allows these products to skim past any logical requirements for health, safety and disclosure. This is a very sad loss for us all.
The website, BiospotVictims.org is no longer up, however portions of it can be found in the Internet Archive Wayback Machine. Once you get there, you have to put in BiospotVictims.org and you will get 7 years of research and information. It is vast and well worth going through, page by page.
Since Timmy came into my life in September 2009 and I became aware of the issues of these toxic products, I have seen many websites come and go. Usually they are started by angry and sad pet owners whose pets have died or been maimed by these flea and tick products. Often they are rants and not well researched, or focus on only the one product that harmed their pet and not the slew of similar products out there. This isn’t a Hartz problem, or a Biospot problem, or a Sergeants problem. There are literally thousands of products out there that are dangerous and harmful to humans, especially toddlers, and pets alike.
Often these sites disappear as quickly as they arrived once the anger wears off. Sometimes we few who try to educate the public feel very alone and a lack of support because most of the visitors come to our sites when they have an issue or are researching something and then never return. I am lucky in that Timmy has a wonderful, supportive following on Facebook and Twitter as well as this website. I never feel alone. I feel like everyone can Be The Wave and make changes with our joint momentum.
James and BiospotVictims.org was a huge part of that momentum and the lack of the site for people like you and me is a huge loss. His advocacy for tens of thousands of people and pets that he will never meet is awe-inspiring.
I wish James well in all his endeavors and thank him for his tireless, and often thankless, work for pet owners everywhere.